What to Make with Ripe Bananas
When you have extra ripe bananas on hand, it is the perfect time to make a batch of banana walnut muffins to eat for breakfast or as a snack.
I try to estimate correctly, when I’m buying bananas for the week.
Some weeks I end up with extras that start getting too ripe and other weeks we run out before my next grocery store run.
This easy banana muffin recipe is just what’s needed to put those sweet, overripe bananas to good use.
In fact, this recipe tastes better with soft, very ripe bananas, since the banana flavor really shines through.
Walnuts are typically the nut that I choose first to go with bananas, but you can easily substitute pecans or another type of nut.
You can also leave out the nuts, if you’ve got an allergy or if you don’t have nuts available when the bananas are ready to be used.
Muffins are great for a breakfast on the go or you can pack them to a mid-morning or afternoon snack.
Banana Walnut Muffins Recipe
Prep time- 10 minutes
Bake time- 20 minutes
Yield- 12 muffins
3 Ripe Bananas, mashed
¼ cup Unsalted Butter, melted
1 Large Egg
¼ cup Milk
1 t Vanilla Extract
½ cup Granulated Sugar
½ cup Light Brown Sugar
2 cups All-purpose Flour
1 t Baking Soda
1 t Salt
1¼ cups Walnuts, chopped
1) Preheat oven to 350° and spray muffin tin with nonstick baking spray.
2) Add the mashed bananas, melted butter and milk to a mixing bowl and stir together with a wooden spoon.
3) Beat in the egg and then stir in the vanilla extract, brown and white sugar, flour, salt and baking soda.
4) Fold in 1 cup of chopped walnuts.
5) Fill muffin pan cups about 2/3 full with batter and top with remaining ¼ cup of walnuts.
6) Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool before serving.
Following are a few of my other delicious breakfasts:
- Applesauce Belgian Waffles
- Slow Cooker Oatmeal
- Cast Iron Fig Scones
- Avocado Sweet Potato Toast
- Pita Breakfast Pizza with Egg and Asparagus
Then take a look at the rest of my vegetarian recipes, so you can have even more delicious fun in the kitchen.