Easy Hot Cocoa Made with Chocolate Chips
We usually think of adding a pump or two of flavored syrup to a cup of coffee, but they are quite good in hot chocolate, too.
And, they are especially good in this homemade cocoa made from milk and chocolate chips, instead of a powdered mix.
This is a caramel macchiato hot cocoa, but you can add other flavors to suit your taste.
Whole milk or even a mix of milk and cream will give you a creamy mug of hot chocolate.
However, any type of milk you prefer can be used for this recipe.
Today, I used fat free milk, since that is what we had in the refrigerator and the cocoa was excellent.
Milk chocolate chips are my first choice for hot cocoa.
These Hershey’s Gluten Free Milk Chocolate Chips melted quickly and gave great flavor to the warm beverage.
I’ve also used other brands that were good, too.
When you want flavors without added calories, Jordan’s Skinny Mixes has you covered.
Skinny Syrup comes in a wide variety of flavors, and many of them are amazing added to hot chocolate.
The mixes are all kosher, gluten-free, diabetic friendly and keto friendly and the syrups have zero calories, zero carbs and zero sugar.
These four flavors are good in cocoa, but you are welcome to try others, too.
- Caramel Macchiato
- French Toast
- Butter Pecan
- Vanilla Chai
What flavors would you like to try in hot chocolate?
Hot Chocolate Garnish
Today, I went with simple mini marshmallows in our hot cocoa.
Other days, we’ll top our mug with whipped cream.
Of course, you can top your hot chocolate however you’d like.
Flavored Chocolate Chip Hot Cocoa Recipe
Prep. Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 1 Serving
1) Measure your milk into a saucepan.
2) Set your stove to medium low to bring the milk to a simmer. Don’t rush it and increase the heat, which can cause scorching.
3) Remove from heat and add chocolate chips. Whisk until the chocolate is melted and fully incorporated into the milk.
4) Top with mini marshmallows or another garnish and serve immediately.
More from Mama Likes To Cook
Check out my vegetarian recipes, so you can get more great ideas for baking, cooking, blending and juicing.
Hot Chocolate Recipes
- Flavored Chocolate Chip Hot Cocoa
- Raspberry Hot Chocolate
- Vegan Hot Cocoa
- Polar Bear Marshmallows for Hot Chocolate
Chocolate Chip Recipes
- Devil’s Food Pumpkin Bread
- Chocolate Butter
- Walnut Chocolate Chip Bars
- Keto Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Dark Chocolate Bread Pudding
For a beautiful assortment of kitchen necessities and food gifts for the whole family, check out the current deals at these online stores.
- Miss A $1 Kitchen Tools and gadgets
- AliExpress for amazing prices on kitchen goods and more
- The California Wine Club
- Wine of The Month Club
- JoyJolt Glassware
- Seven Sisters Scones
- Southside Market
Are you ready to have some delicious fun in the kitchen?