Cuban-style Beans and Rice
Make my Instant Pot black beans and rice, when you want a satisfying vegan dish inspired by the flavors of Cuba.
This isn’t meant to be an exact copy of your great great Cuban grandma’s recipe that was lovingly passed down through the family.
The recipe is a modern Instant Pot dish that takes inspiration from traditional island flavor, so it is new but has a familiar taste.
These beans are vegan and hearty, so you can easily serve them either as a main dish or a side dish.
I like my beans to be a bit firm, so that is how the recipe is written.
If you like softer beans, increase the cook time by 1 or 2 minutes.
The garnish looks pretty, but also adds great flavor to the meal.
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator or freezer to eat later.
Just wait to add the garnish until after the beans have been reheated.
Instant Pot Black Beans and Rice Recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 32 minutes (+ time to come to pressure)
Natural release: 20 minutes
1 cup Dried Black Beans
½ White Onion
1 Red Bell Pepper
½ T Oregano
½ T Ground Cumin
1 t Garlic Powder
Salt and Black Pepper to Taste
1½ cups Vegetable Broth
3 cups Cooked Rice
1 T Red Wine Vinegar
2 T Red Bell Pepper, diced
1 Avocado, diced
2 T Fresh Cilantro, chopped
1 Lime, cut into wedges
1) Remove the seeds from the bell pepper and peel the onion and finely chop them. Add the beans, onion, red pepper, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, salt and black pepper to your Instant Pot. Then, pour the vegetable broth on top of the other ingredients.
2) Set the pressure valve to “sealing” and select the “Manual” cooking option on the “High” setting. Set cook time to 32 minutes.
3) After cook time is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 20 minutes. Do a quick release for any remaining pressure.
4) Stir in the red wine vinegar. Add more salt and pepper, if needed.
5) Serve over rice and top with chopped red pepper, avocado, cilantro and lime wedges.
More from Mama Likes To Cook
If you are looking for a sweet something, check out my dessert recipes.
And following are a few more of my delicious dinner recipes.
- Vegan Butternut Squash Stew
- Butternut Squash Noodles
- Cast Iron Skillet Greek Potatoes
- Roasted Spaghetti Squash
- Oven Roasted Artichoke Halves
- Black Bean Lettuce Wraps
- Vegan Stuffed Eggplant
- Roasted Broccoli Stems
- Roasted Carrots with Curry
Then take a look at the rest of my vegetarian recipes, so you can have even more delicious fun in the kitchen!