Quick and Easy Mushroom Rice
Instant Pot Recipe
Make delicious vegan mushroom rice in your Instant Pot, when you want a satisfying hearty side dish that is easy to prepare.
Instant Pot pressure cookers really do a great job cooking rice, so that it has a nice texture and isn’t mushy.
In fact, if the only thing Instant Pots could cook was rice, I would still think this kitchen appliance is a must have for my kitchen.
The portobello mushrooms in this dish have a rich flavor, so each bite is satisfying.
You can substitute another type of mushroom, if you’d like.
But portobello mushrooms are readily available and they pair beautifully with the red cooking wine that is added as they cook.
If you happen to have some leftovers, this vegan rice still tastes great when reheated the next day.
Instant Pot Vegan Mushroom Rice Recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35-40 minutes (+ time to come to pressure)
Natural release: 10 minutes
3 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 large Brown Onion
1 t Garlic Powder
Salt and Black Pepper to Taste
8 oz. pkg. Portobello Mushrooms, sliced
¼ cup Marsala Wine (or Port)
1 cup Vegetable Broth
1 cup Brown Rice, rinsed and drained
2 T Fresh Parsley, chopped
1 Green Onion, chopped
1 T Fresh Thyme Leaves
1) Select the “Sauté” function and the “high” setting on your Instant Pot. Add two
T of the extra virgin olive oil, diced onions, and half of a teaspoon of garlic powder. Add salt and pepper to taste and stir to combine. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, so that the onions soften.
2) Add sliced mushrooms and remaining half teaspoon of garlic powder. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are browned and have released their liquids.
3) Pour in the wine and thyme leaves. Cook for a few minutes more, so that the liquid is reduced. Remove the sautéed mushrooms from the instant pot and set aside.
4) Add the remaining tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and 1/4 cup of vegetable broth to the instant pot. Gently scrape up any browned bits off the bottom with a wooden spoon.
5) Add the rice to the instant pot and cook for a minute or two, stirring occasionally.
6) Pour in the remaining 3/4 cup of vegetable broth and stir to combine. Cover and lock lid into place. Set valve to “Sealing” and select the “Manual” and “High Pressure” settings. Set cook time to 22 minutes.
7)When cook time is complete, allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes. Then, to a quick release for any remaining pressure.
8) Remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork. Add the mushroom mixture, green onion and parsley to the pot. Stir to combine.
9) Turn off the Instant Pot and put the rice in a serving dish. Serve immediately.
More from Mama Likes To Cook
If you are looking for a sweet something, check out my dessert recipes.
And following are a few more of my delicious dinner recipes.
- Vegan Butternut Squash Stew
- Butternut Squash Noodles
- Oven Roasted Artichoke Halves
- Black Bean Lettuce Wraps
- Vegan Stuffed Eggplant
- Roasted Broccoli Stems
Then take a look at the rest of my vegetarian recipes, so you can have even more delicious fun in the kitchen!