Danish Aebleskiver Recipe to Make at Home
When I mention my trip to Solvang, the first thing that people bring up is Aebleskiver.
Naturally, the aebleskiver recipe was something I had to have.
People don’t always remember the name of this treat, but they do remember how good they are.
Aebleskiver are similar to pancakes, but they are not ‘flat as a pancake.’
An Aebleskiver is a round pancake ball that is a little smaller than a tennis ball.
They can be enjoyed anytime, but are often served for breakfast with jam and powdered sugar.
The ingredients are simple and once you learn the technique, they are as easy to make as other types of pancakes.
During the annual Danish Days festival in Solvang, a big tent is set up in the street and thousands of Aebleskiver are served to locals and tourists.
You can get them year round inside The Solvang Restaurant or at their take out window.
At Danish Days, I was able to watch the masters at work.
Many of these Solvang residents are descendants of the original Danes who settled in the city 5 generations ago.
Courtesy of The Solvang Restaurant
1) Separate the eggs. Mix egg yolks and all the other ingredients together at one time and beat until smooth.
2) Allow batter to set for 30 minutes to let baking powder work. Beat the whites stiff and fold in last.
3) Heat aebleskiver pan. Put 1 tsp. salad oil in each hole and fill completely with batter.
4) Let bake until slightly crusty on bottom. Turn slightly with a knitting needle or skewer.
5) Continue cooking, turning the ball to keep it from burning, until the knitting needle comes out clean when stuck in the center.
6) Serve aebleskiver hot with powdered sugar, jam, and jelly.
Step by step how-to photos that demonstrate the technique:
More from Mama Likes to Cook
Solvang Restaurants, Food & Drink
- Succulent Cafe
- Paula’s Pancake House
- Authentic Danish Bakeries
- The Landsby’s Mad and Vin
- Solvang Restaurant
- Little Mermaid Restaurant
- Wandering Dog Wine Bar
- Solvang Coffee House by Chomp
- Chomp Modern Diner
- Ingeborg’s Danish Chocolate Shop
- Fresco Valley Cafe
- Petros Kafe
- Mustard Seed Restaurant
Lodging Near Solvang