Southern Chess Pie
When you are looking for a simple home baked dessert that tastes like something special, bake a Southern blackberry lemon chess pie.
I am not from the South, but I do appreciate Southern home cooking.
The first time I heard of chess pie, I was a bit confused about the name. It doesn’t look like a chessboard, so the name didn’t seem to fit.
I am not sure that anyone knows for sure at this point, but here are three common theories about how this pie got its unique name.
- It was originally called a cheese pie, which became chess pie.
- The pies were stored in a pie chest before refrigerators were invented, so chest pie turned into chess pie.
- It originated in Chester, England before making its way to the South, so Chester pie was eventually shortened to chess pie.
However it began, the unique name stuck.
When you take a bite of pie, you’ll experience the wonderful sweet custard filling combined with tart lemon flavor.
You can make the pie without the blackberries on top, but they do make it extra good and extra pretty.
It is a delicious treat, so you’ll want to make sure you save room for dessert.
The chilled pie is especially nice, when the weather is warm.
Blackberry Lemon Chess Pie Recipe
9″ Refrigerated Pie Crust
2 cups Sugar
1 T All-purpose Flour
2 T Yellow Cornmeal
1/4 t Salt
1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, melted
1/4 cup Heavy Cream
1 T White Vinegar
Zest from 2 Lemons
Juice from 1 Lemon
1 t Vanilla Extract
1 cup Blackberries
1) Pre-heat oven to 350°.
2) Whisk together all ingredients, except for the blackberries.
3) Pour into crust.
4) Top with fresh blackberries.
5) Bake for approximately 45 minutes, so that it is golden brown and center appears to be set.
6) Cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
7) Transfer to refrigerator to chill for 2 or more hours.
8) Optional: Garnish with whipped cream, fresh mint and lemon slice.
More from Mama Likes To Cook
Check out my vegetarian recipes, so you can get more great ideas for baking, cooking, blending and juicing.
- Blackberry Frozen Yogurt Cake
- Lemon Blackberry Chess Pie
- Blackberry Frozen Yogurt
- Apple Blackberry Jam
- Blackberry Jam Smoothie
- Instant Pot Blackberry Iced Tea
- Sparkling Blackberry Basil Mocktail
- Tangerine Blackberry Ice Pops
- Berry Jello Pie
- Banana Cream Pie
- Single Serve Mini Pumpkin Pies
- Simply Perfect Apple Pie
- Blackberry Lemon Chess Pie
- Bisquick Coconut Pie
Lemon Dessert Recipes
- Cookie Dough Lemon Bars
- Coconut Lemon Fruit Leather
- Toasted Coconut Lemon Curd Cookies
- No Bake Strawberry Lemonade Cheesecake
- Keto Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- Blackberry Lemon Chess Pie
- Traditional Irish Lemon Curd
- Glazed Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake
Dinner Lemon Recipes
- Greek Pasta Salad with Lemon Dressing
- Cash Iron Skillet Greek Potatoes
- Lemon Garlic Asparagus with Pasta
- Charred Asparagus with Lemon
- Lemon Dill Hummus
Lemon Drink Recipes
- Lemon Herb Mocktail
- Easy Cucumber Lemonade
- Chia Seed Lemonade
- Jamaican Adult Lemonade
- Easy Blueberry Lemonade
Check out the latest deals on kitchen necessities and food gifts for the whole family, when you visit these online stores.
- Miss A $1 Kitchen Tools
- Great Jones pots, pans and baking dishes
- The California Wine Club
- Wine of The Month Club
- JoyJolt Glassware
- Seven Sisters Scones
- Southside Market
Are you ready to have some delicious fun in the kitchen?