Citrus Orchards at SeaView Ranch in Calipatria
Yes, this state is known for it’s delicious, sweet and juicy citrus fruit – oranges, tangerines, lemons, grapefruit and more.
Most of Orange county’s citrus groves have turned into housing developments, but there is still prime citrus growing land in the Imperial Valley.
Salton Sea Citrus
The desert area near the Salton Sea may not sound like a good place for juicy fruit, but as you can see from these overflowing trees, it is.
The sandy soil and abundant sunshine at SeaView Ranch are great for producing excellent crops.
Lemons and Oranges
These lemon trees were still full towards the end of the harvest season.
Unlike some fruit that needs to be picked quickly during a short window of time, lemons and oranges can remain on the tree for a longer time period until they are needed.
Some of the fruit heads to grocery stores to be sold fresh.
These lemons and oranges were being loaded up onto trucks to be taken to processing plants where they would be turned into juice.
Watering Crops in the Desert
Yes, this is a desert. Water from the Colorado River comes into the valley via irrigation systems that are managed by local water districts.
Farmers closely monitor their crops, so that they can coordinate with the water districts to get the right amount of water when they need it to grow the food that those of us in California and throughout the nation need.
The whole process is managed carefully to make good use of our precious water.
SeaView Ranch also grows date palms.
As I would have assumed, they, too, do well with the sandy soil and this hot and arid climate.
The trees are beautiful and the dates from this area are delicious.
Like many tree crops, date palms require years of hard work before the first crop is ever seen.
Skilled laborers keep the trees healthy, remove thorns and hand pollinate when the trees bloom.
This is a job that takes patience, knowledge and skill.
It was fascinating to see the huge, healthy crops grown in the midst of a vast, dry dessert.
The farmers and the crops are well adapted to the area.
More from Mama Likes To Cook
Check out the rest of my vegetarian recipes, so you can get more great ideas for baking, cooking, blending and juicing.
California Farm Tours
- Sweet Potato Joe Farm Tour – Livingston, CA
- Fiscalini Farmstead Cheese and Dairy Farm Tour – Modesto, CA
- Walnut Farm – Modesto, California
- Charles Ahelm Dairy Ranch – Hilmar, CA
- Avocado Orchard – Irvine, CA
- Urban Produce Indoor Organic Microgreens – Irvine, CA
- Brokaw Avocado Nursery Tour – Ventura, CA
- Rancho Rodoro Avocado Grove – Santa Paula, CA
- Shield’s Date Garden – Indio, CA
- SeaView Ranch – Calipatria, CA
- Lawrence Cox Ranches – Brawley, CA
- Lester Farms Tour – Winters, CA
- Lucero Olive Oil Tour – Corning, CA
- Wil-Ker-Son Kiwi Farm Tour – Gridley, CA
- Lundberg Family Farms Tour – Richvale, CA
Breweries in California
- Dust Bowl Brewing in Turlock
- Peter B’s in Monterey
- Refuge Brewery in Temecula
- Kinetic Brewing in Lancaster
- Coachella Valley Brewing Company in Thousand Palms
- Karl Strauss in Anaheim
- Sierra Nevada in Chico
Wineries in California
- Guglielmo Winery – Santa Clara Wine Trail
- Fortino Winery – Santa Clara Wine Trail
- Longoria Winery – Lompoc, CA
- Acquiesce Winery and Vineyards – Acampo, CA
- Bokisch Vineyards – Lodi, CA
- Bernardus Vineyards and Winery – Carmel Valley, CA
- Holman Ranch Vineyards – Carmel Valley, CA
- Jarman – Carmel Valley, CA
- Herzog Winery – Oxnard, CA
- Akash Winery – Temecula
- Wilson Creek – Temecula
- Cambria Winery and Vineyards – Santa Maria
- Foxen Vineyard and Winery – Santa Maria
- Nagy Wines – Orcutt, CA
- Grevino – Orcutt, CA
- Ojai Vineyard – Ojai, CA
- Keller Estate Winery – Petaluma, CA
- Adobe Road – Petaluma, CA
For a beautiful assortment of kitchen necessities and food gifts for the whole family, check out the deals at these online stores.
- Great Jones pots, pans and baking dishes
- The California Wine Club
- Wine of The Month Club
- JoyJolt Glassware
- Seven Sisters Scones
- Southside Market
Are you ready to have some delicious fun in the kitchen?