Northern California Kiwi Farm
Do you know how kiwi grow?
I didn’t until I went on a farm tour at Wil-Ker-Son Ranch in Northern California.
Kiwifruit are actually a berry and grow on vines.
Since kiwi are bigger and heavier than blackberries, raspberries and others, the vines are sturdy and the leaves are big.
The vines are propped up with supports to keep the fruit up and off of the ground.
When you look at the vines, you’ll see lush, green leaves.
When you look underneath, you’ll see fruit that is being protected by the leaves.
Kiwi is harvested in the Fall in California and these vines were loaded with fruit and ready to be picked.
Wil-Ker-Son Ranch Kiwi Packing House
Like most farms in California, Wil-Ker-Son Ranch is family owned and operated.
When they first began in the 1970’s, kiwi was just beginning to become popular.
Now there are many other kiwifruit growers in the area.
They have a packing house on site for their own fruit and for other farms in the area.
In addition to kiwi, they also grow and pack chestnuts.
As you can imagine, this is a busy time of year for them.
I enjoyed my tour of Wil-Ker-Son Ranch.
It was fascinating to see how the kiwi grow and it was fun to learn that many of the kiwifruit that I purchase here in Southern California were actually grown on this ranch in Northern California.
661 E. Evans Reimer Road
Gridley, CA 95948
More from Mama Likes To Cook
Check out the rest of my vegetarian recipes, so you can get more great ideas for baking, cooking, blending and juicing.
California Farm Tours
- Sweet Potato Joe Farm Tour – Livingston, CA
- Fiscalini Farmstead Cheese and Dairy Farm Tour – Modesto, CA
- Walnut Farm – Modesto, California
- Charles Ahelm Dairy Ranch – Hilmar, CA
- Avocado Orchard – Irvine, CA
- Urban Produce Indoor Organic Microgreens – Irvine, CA
- Brokaw Avocado Nursery Tour – Ventura, CA
- Rancho Rodoro Avocado Grove – Santa Paula, CA
- Shield’s Date Garden – Indio, CA
- SeaView Ranch – Calipatria, CA
- Lawrence Cox Ranches – Brawley, CA
- Lester Farms Tour – Winters, CA
- Lucero Olive Oil Tour – Corning, CA
- Wil-Ker-Son Kiwi Farm Tour – Gridley, CA
- Lundberg Family Farms Tour – Richvale, CA
Breweries in California
- Dust Bowl Brewing in Turlock
- Peter B’s in Monterey
- Refuge Brewery in Temecula
- Kinetic Brewing in Lancaster
- Coachella Valley Brewing Company in Thousand Palms
- Karl Strauss in Anaheim
- Sierra Nevada in Chico
Wineries in California
- Guglielmo Winery – Santa Clara Wine Trail
- Fortino Winery – Santa Clara Wine Trail
- Longoria Winery – Lompoc, CA
- Acquiesce Winery and Vineyards – Acampo, CA
- Bokisch Vineyards – Lodi, CA
- Bernardus Vineyards and Winery – Carmel Valley, CA
- Holman Ranch Vineyards – Carmel Valley, CA
- Jarman – Carmel Valley, CA
- Herzog Winery – Oxnard, CA
- Akash Winery – Temecula
- Wilson Creek – Temecula
- Cambria Winery and Vineyards – Santa Maria
- Foxen Vineyard and Winery – Santa Maria
- Nagy Wines – Orcutt, CA
- Grevino – Orcutt, CA
- Ojai Vineyard – Ojai, CA
- Keller Estate Winery – Petaluma, CA
- Adobe Road – Petaluma, CA
For a beautiful assortment of kitchen necessities and food gifts for the whole family, check out the deals at these online stores.
- Great Jones pots, pans and baking dishes
- The California Wine Club
- Wine of The Month Club
- JoyJolt Glassware
- Seven Sisters Scones
- Southside Market
Are you ready to have some delicious fun in the kitchen?